Early Childhood Education
Are you interested in working with infants, toddlers or young children?
This one year course will prepare you for an entry level role as a nanny, home based educator, early childhood centre educator or a kaiwhina in a Māori immersion setting if you speak Māori. It can also prepare you for higher level study leading to an ECE teaching qualification.
Students wishing to gain UE must take an additional approved subject.
- Examine and work with the NZ Early Childhood Curriculum Te Whaariki
- Build on professional practice, effective communication, working in partnerships using bicultural framework for childhood learning in Aotearoa New Zealand
- Examine the value of play for children in learning
- Explore early childhood learning and development progression
- Demonstrate basic Te Reo Māori and tikanga Māori specific to the early childhood environment
- Provide nutritious food for children and consider health, safety, wellbeing and ethical responsibilities in the early childhood environment