Early Childhood Education
Are you interested in working with infants toddlers or young children?
This one year course not only allows an opportunity to get ahead without the costs but incorporates gaining University Entrance and a National Certificate. This course is unique in this aspect.
Part-time courses are also offered for students with children, work or other commitments.
Experience a supervised practicum one day a week at two selected early childhood centres putting theory into practice. Hagley offers a very low cost opportunity to gain these qualifications where we believe the cost should not become a barrier to your education.
Students wishing to gain UE must take an additional approved subject.
- Examine and work with the NZ Early Childhood Curriculum Te Whaariki
- Build on professional practice, effective communication, working in partnerships using bicultural framework for childhood learning in Aotearoa New Zealand
- Examine the value of play for children in learning
- Explore early childhood learning and development progression
- Demonstrate basic Te Reo Māori and tikanga Māori specific to the early childhood environment
- Provide nutritious food for children and consider health, safety, wellbeing and ethical responsibilities in the early childhood environment