The Junior College is based on the Transferable Skills Framework which we have developed at Hagley. It has strong links to the key competencies of the NZ Curriculum. The skills are:
- Maker Mindset
Within the eight learning areas of the curriculum, there is an emphasis on students becoming more effective learners through developing these transferable skills while, at the same time, learning new knowledge.
Click here to view the Junior College Stationery List for 2023
All junior students take MAT, ENG, SCI, SSC, TRE, HEA, PED, and will require the basic pencil case items. The Kete Wana subjects students have been placed into will be included on their individual timetables.
The Junior College is a two-year programme for students in Years 9 and 10.
Some facts about the Junior College:
- Approximately 250 students study in the Junior College.
- The Junior College curriculum is built on the eight essential learning areas of the National Curriculum statement. It is specifically designed to ensure that all students have the skills to succeed in their quest for learning qualifications in Years 11, 12 and 13.
- The Hagley values of Tika (Integrity), Whakawirinaki (Trust), Whakamarumaru (Responsibility) and Mana (Respect) are a fundamental aspect of the Junior College.
- A formal Contract of Learning is signed at enrolment. This contract is between parents, the students and the College.
- The Junior College is based on a learning model that establishes standards and boundaries for student learning and behaviour.
- Learning is connected across subject areas to develop a deeper understanding of big ideas such as Identity and Global Citizenship.
- We are a restorative school. This means that relationships are at the heart of what we do. We focus on building, enhancing and restoring those relationships. This ensures our school and community is strong, healthy and functions well.
Kete Wana – Our Basket of Inspiration
Click here for the Kete Wana subject descriptions.
This new collection of subjects has resulted from an extensive review of our Junior College curriculum. From consultation with students, whānau and our staff, we have developed an enormous range of subjects that are designed to give students the opportunity to explore their interests, develop their skills, and engage their passion for learning.
The subjects run for two sessions per week for a block of 12 weeks. Students will choose six subjects in a year with most of the subjects on offer accommodating both Year 9 and Year 10 learners. Subjects on offer include such things as Funmation, Hard Out (competitive PE/sport), Market Fair, Tīaho Cultural Fashion Awards, Kapa Haka, Sign Language, Taonga Tech Jewellery, Fashion – Make It Wear It, Science Nerd Academy, Great Queens of the Ancient World, Stage Action, Whakairo/Carving, and The Newsroom.
Click here to view the Kete Wana subjects by Blocks and Options for 2023
Click here to read more about Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)