Forte Itinerant Teachers of Music
Our mission is to inspire students to reach their full musical potential and to provide a variety of pathways that can lead to a life-long involvement in music.
Who are we?
The Forte Itinerant Music Teachers (ITMs) are a professional body of qualified and registered secondary school music teachers, who are dedicated to delivering specialised music tuition to schools.
Who do we cater for?
Schools in Canterbury and the West Coast teaching students from years 7-13.
What can we offer?
Individual and group tuition in the following areas: Strings, Woodwind, Brass, Drums and Percussion, Guitars, Saxophone, Voice and Piano. We are also involved in tutoring small and large ensembles. In addition to the ‘in school’ lessons, the Forte ITM Service can also provide an online option for out of town schools.
How will ITMs contribute to your school?
Our aim is to engage students in developing practical knowledge, technical mastery, musical perception and aesthetic sensitivity to the highest degree possible, through active participation in a learning programme designed by the appropriate specialist itinerant music teacher.
Your Itinerant Teacher of Music will….
- Liaise with music staff to support the school’s wider music programme
- Plan, deliver, assess and report back on personalised programmes of vocal/instrumental tuition based on specialised schemes of learning across all levels
- Prepare students for individual, group performances and assessments including NCEA, external exams and extracurricular opportunities
- Ensure that a positive learning environment is maintained
- Offer advice, guidance and assistance with appropriate resources an equipment, as required for lessons
- Keep up to date with current practices and policies regarding lesson deliver through ongoing professional development and performance appraisal
- Where possible, in addition to his / her teaching programmes, be available for extra-curricular activities such as open nights, festivals, exchanges, tours and other activities
- Encourage open and effective lines of communication between all parties.
Forte Itinerant Music Teachers (as performing musicians) also play an active role in assisting schools to prepare students for various festivals and competitions such as…
- Chamber Music Competitions
- Rock Quest NZCF
- Big Sing Competition
- ChCh Schools Concert Band Festival
- Jazz Quest
- Southern Jam
- Barber Shop Competitions
- The Voices Festival
- CWMSTA Orchestra Festival
Engaging with Forte
You may make enquiries at any time by emailing the Management Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colin Henderson: Forte ITM Service Co-ordinator
- Nicky Fogden-Smith: Forte ITM Service Manager