Junior College Enrolments
Our first enrolment period closed in June and there will be no further enrolment periods opened for Junior College 2018 at this stage.
If you would like to express your interest in the Junior College for 2018 should spaces become available, or for more information, please contact Lisa Amer on 379 3090 ext 884 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Please contact Lisa, our Junior College Administrator, on 379 3090 ext 884 or email@example.com to request an enrolment pack (information, prospectus, enrolment form) and this will be sent out to you.
2. Completed enrolment forms can be posted to Junior College Enrolments PO Box 3084 Christchurch 8140, dropped in, or emailed to Lisa.
We also ask you to provide us with some other information:
- A copy of the student’s birth certificate or passport
- Their most recent school report
- An attendance print-out from their current school (year to date)
- A statement supporting your application written by another person (this could be from a sports coach, church group leader, family friend, teacher, etc and is helpful in determining if the student meets our Designated Character School Criteria).
Providing these documents will strengthen your application. If you are having trouble getting hold of some of these and you want to get your enrolment in ASAP, don’t panic! We are happy to take your completed enrolment form and receive the rest of the requested documents at a slightly later date.
3. Once your enrolment form is with us, you will be contacted to arrange a diagnostic appointment. This is a look at literacy aspects (spelling, reading, writing) as well as IQ and self-esteem. We use this for class placement, and also to flag any support or extension that each student might need. These appointments will be happening through Terms 2 and 3 and are done onsite with our educational psychologists. All appointments are during the school day and take approximately 90 minutes.
4. When we get the results you will be contacted again to arrange an interview with our Director of Junior College or Year 9 Dean. This will occur in Term 3 or start of Term 4. Don’t panic if you haven’t heard from us – it takes time to get through everyone! This is a chance to discuss the diagnostic results and for us to get to know one another before next year. Takes about half an hour during the school day.
5. You will receive a letter confirming if you have been accepted. We will ask you to return an acceptance slip so we know you are definitely coming to Hagley next year!
6. If you have been accepted into the Junior College we hold an Orientation in November for all new Year 9 students and their parents/caregivers. You will meet your form tutor and classmates, and learn about the Junior College ready for next year.
CLASS SET UP:
5 x Mainstream classes
- Streamed classes (around 25 students per class)
- Literacy enhancement classes (20 students)
1 x Junior Targeted Learning class for significant learning/intellectual needs, homeroom style class, mixed age level (16-18 students max).
There are a maximum of 125 places available in Year 9 for 2018.
Places are extremely limited for special/learning support programmes, including Junior Targeted Learning.
We recommend applying as soon as possible.